Monday, December 10, 2012

Weverb12 #2 watch [LIVE]

What movie did you see this year that you would recommend to a friend?

See, now I'm just beginning to think this entire thingummy is against me.  For starters, I don't watch a lot of movies. the ones I do, I do just for me--because they have Katherine Heigl, Farhan Akhtar or Will Ferrell in them, because they are animated, because they're the new James Bond, or Amit Trivedi has scored the music. What I want from a movie is also very me specific. I'm very hard and very soft on movies at the same time: I am more than happy to suspend disbelief, but you better make me end the film feeling hopeful and happy. (Now does that list up there of the kinds of movies I watch make sense?)

Now this makes me very reluctant to recommend movies to people. Mostly people recoil in horror and say you want me to watch WHAT??? I also generally hide my movie-watching in the furtive space of Saturday mornings on my couch, or solo 10am shows in theatres. (Yeah, I love watching movies alone!) Of course, I also can't really remember what movies I actually watched this year...Vicky Donor comes to mind, as does The Avengers.

I think it would have to be The Avengers. (Don't gloat Lithium.) It's a super movie--very funny, no small thanks to RDJ, much eye candy, again no small thanks to RDJ, and despite the sadness and the bad things that happen, it ends well. Though it should have been called Iron Man 3 feat. The Hulk. I'd say go see it, simply because it will make you laugh, it might make you cry, it will make you holler at the screen and walk around for days after spewing bits of dialogue and chuckling to yourself. And I always think there's nothing to be lost in believing in superheroes...even in thy mother's drapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment